Wednesday, April 18, 2012

DIAMOND WILLOW by Helen Frost

Frost, Helen. 2008. DIAMOND WILLOW. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux. ISBN 9780374317768

Review

A
n almost teenager, Diamond Willow, lives in remote Alaska and enjoys learning to run her snow dogs with her Dad.  Wanting to show her independence, her parents allow her to take the sled and dogs on her own to her grandparent’s house.  An accident leaves their best dog, Roxy, injured and blind.  But when Willow’s parents decide to put Roxy down, Willow takes matters into her own hands.  With the help of her best friend, they make a decision which leaves them stranded overnight in the Alaskan cold.  When rescued, Willow pleads her case for Roxy and in the midst of events learns a life-changing secret; she had a twin sister who died. 

     The most out-standing element to this story is the shape of most of the poems which are in various diamond shapes.   Named after a diamond willow stick, the concrete poem shapes reflect the shape and journey she takes to form an identity.  Some poems are not in shape form and are written from the perspective of deceased relatives of Willow’s who are also Native Americans.  The poems are written as animals that the deceased have returned as and are they are watching Willow and her family. 

     DIAMOND WILLOW is a smooth and easy verse novel for young adults.  It includes topics and themes full of emotion but is not overly emotional or sentimental.  The mood varies throughout the story.  To begin, Willow reveals herself as a loner and plain, nothing special and happiness eludes her.  We read, “I’m skinny and ordinary like a stick.” We experience other emotions such as dread, sadness, desperation, courage, and happiness.  The final poem states, “I feel like I am flying with them, like my twin sister Diamond is alive inside me saying, Willow, this is happiness.  Me, these dogs, this snow, the spruce hen flying just ahead of us: This is happiness. I see.”

     One additional special touch is that author Helen Frost, has bolded a phrase in each diamond-shaped poem.  Each word in the phrase comes from a different line in the poem.  It is a neat and creative touch that allows the reader to feel or view alternate points in the story.

Poetry in Action:

Introducing the Poem:  Ask students, “Have you ever done something that was wrong and the outcome was really bad?”  Allow students to share their stories.  Share one of your own if they have trouble thinking of ideas.  Stories will not hopefully be as dramatic and that’s okay. Read DIAMOND WILLOW up until the poem listed below.

Follow up Activity:  Divide the class into small groups.  Have them predict what will happen with Roxy and Diamond.  Give them large sheets of easel paper to illustrate their predictions.  Then read the rest of the story and have them illustrate the story on the other side of the paper.  Hang these drawings for all to see.

From page 33

Dad
changes
Roxy’s bandage and
makes sure she’s comfortable
before he goes to work. After he’s gone,
I go in to see her.  She can’t see me, of course,
but she whimpers when she hears me coming, so I
kneel down beside her.  I might cry, and I don’t want her
to hear me do that.  I’ll try to be as brave as she is.  Oh, Roxy,
I’m sorry! I knew that blind curve was coming up.
I should have slowed down sooner.
Roxy licks my face,
sniffs my leg
where I’m
hurt,
too.

No comments:

Post a Comment